Steven Gold, PhD
Steven Gold, Ph.D. is a Professor at Nova Southeastern University (NSU) Center for Psychological Studies in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He founded and serves as Director of the Trauma Resolution Integration Program (TRIP) at NSU’s Psychology Services Center which treats individuals age 18 and above who have been exposed to a traumatic situation and are currently experiencing problems in functioning as a result.
In addition, Dr. Gold is co-editor, along with Jan Faust, Ph.D., of the Journal of Trauma Practice, and author of, Not Trauma Alone: Therapy for Child Abuse Survivors in Family and Social Context (Series in Trauma and Loss).
Follow your bliss
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Steven shares the story of his early work in private practice and how he began working with a lot of individuals struggling with substance abuse. He soon began hearing very similar stories from these clients, stories of lives lived in traumatic households, and how this trauma profoundly and negatively impacted the healthy development of these peoples’ lives. This was Steven’s turning point that led him to the field of trauma therapy.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Steven talks about how early on in his career he made the mistake of being overly responsive to a particular client, and in effect adopting the role of caretaker which inhibited this women’s ability to progress in treatment.
This is not about listening to other people’s problems. It’s about helping people overcome their problems and challenges and lead a better life. It is so gratifying to walk along that journey with someone.
- Read widely.
- Go to workshops!
- Find an experienced mentor who can provide you with supervision.
Steven’s go-to books
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence–from Domestic Abuse to Political Terror, Judith Herman
- The Interpersonal Theory of Psychiatry, Harry Stack Sullivan
- Not Trauma Alone: Therapy for Child Abuse Survivors in Family and Social Context (Series in Trauma and Loss), Steven Gold, PhD.
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com