This is an excerpt from Karen’s full interview. To view the interview in its entirety enroll below.
I’m very excited to have as our guest on Trauma Therapist | 2.0, Dr. Karen Treisman.
Karen, who was on episode 203 of The Trauma Therapist | Podcast, is a London-based highly specialized clinical psychologist. She has worked in the NHS and children’s services for several years and has also worked cross-culturally in both Africa and Asia with groups ranging from former child soldiers to survivors of the Rwandan Genocide.
Karen has extensive experience in the areas of trauma, parenting, and attachment, and works clinically using a range of therapeutic approaches with families, systems, and children in or on the edge of care, unaccompanied asylum-seeking young people, and adopted children.
In addition to holding a doctorate in Clinical psychology, Karen has undergone a range of specialist trainings including in EMDR, Narrative Therapy, Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy, Sensory Attachment Intervention, and Theraplay.
Karen currently works as a Clinical Lead for a court assessment and intensive parenting intervention team for children on the edge of care and in proceedings. Karen is also the director of Safe Hands and Thinking Minds training and consultancy services.
Karen is an external consultant, trainer, and assessor to Barnardos Adoption Service, Grandparents Plus, PAC-UK, Hope for families, and the Fostering Network and a member of the CoramBAAF health group advisory committee, as well as a reviewer for the Journal of adoption and fostering.
Karen regularly presents at local, national, and international trauma, parenting, and attachment conferences. Karen is the author of Working with relational and developmental trauma in children and adolescents, as well as, A Therapeutic Treasure Box for Working with Children and Adolescents with Developmental Trauma: Creative Techniques and Activities.
- “Working with relational and developmental trauma in children and adolescents” by Dr Karen Treisman at http://bit.ly/drkarentreismanbook2016
- “A Therapeutic Treasure Box for Working with Children and Adolescents with Developmental Trauma: Creative Techniques and Activities” at http://amzn.to/2nOIPlZ
- A Therapeutic Treasure Deck
- Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Grounding, Regulating, Soothing, and Coping Cards
Dr Treisman’s TedX talk on relational trauma.
Books Coming Soon- A series of five illustrated children’s storybooks with accompanying workbooks focusing on self-esteem, nightmares, worries, rejecting behaviour, and feeling safe. These are available for pre-order.
- Neon the Nightmare and Nighttime Ninja: A Creative Therapeutic Workbook to Support Children who are having Difficulties with Nightmares and Sleeping Children Aged 5-8-
- Gilly the Giraffe Discovers That Different is Cool: A Creative Therapeutic Workbook to Help Build Self-Esteem in Children Aged 5-8-
- Cleo the Snappy Crocodile Discovers His Smile: A Creative Therapeutic Workbook for Children Aged 5-8 Who Are Afraid to Get Close
- Presley the Pug and his Quest for Calm: A Creative Therapeutic Workbook to Help Children Aged 5-8 with Feelings of Fear
- Binnie the Baboon: A Creative Therapeutic Workbook to Help Children Aged 5-8 with Anxiety