Vanessa Snyder, PhD
Vanessa Snyder is a Licensed Professional Counselor, Certified Sex Therapist, Certified Traumatologist and AAMFT Approved Supervisor in Training in Atlanta, GA. She specializes in the treatment of sexual abuse, trauma, complex trauma, dissociative disorders, sexual and gender identity issues, as well as marital and family work.
Her research is focused on the population and treatment of children and adults in the commercial sex trafficking trade, secondary traumatic stress in aftercare providers of trauma, and complex trauma survivors as well as therapeutic alliance outcomes in clinical training. She is the Dean of Clinical Affairs and Assistant Professor at Richmont Graduate University in Atlanta, Academic Dean for the Institute for Sexual Wholeness and Director of Richmont’s Institute of Traumatology.
We are called to offer staying power in the alarm moments of other people’s lives
Diane Langberg, PhD
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Vanessa shares her story which includes early experiences in business and then marketing, and finally to trauma survivors seeking her out.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Vanessa talks about her somewhat rigid allegiance to boundaries as a young clinician and how that sometimes got in her way of her creating strong rapport with her clients.
I get to do exactly what I love to do. This work changes you.
- You have to be tenacious and dig in. What does that mean? It means reading every single book, and going to every workshop and conference!
- And find the best people in the field, and get supervision.
- Keep your own therapist on speed dial!
- Allow your failures to transform you as a clinician. They will help you grow.
Vanessa’s go-to books
- Treatment of Complex Trauma: A Sequenced, Relationship-Based Approach Reprint Edition, by Christine A. Courtois PhD (Author), Julian D. Ford PhD, John Briere PhD
- Man’s search for meaning, Viktor Frankl
- Suffering and the Heart of God: How Trauma Destroys and Christ Restores, by Diane Langberg
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com