There’s No One Answer. Pat Ogden, PhD
Pat Ogden, PhD, is a pioneer in somatic psychology and both Founder and Education Director of Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute®, an internationally recognized school specializing in somatic–cognitive approaches for the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder and attachment disturbances. She is co-founder of the Hakomi Institute, a clinician, consultant, international lecturer and trainer, and first author of Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy. Her most recent book, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy: Interventions for Trauma and Attachment (2015) is a practical guide to integrate Sensorimotor Psychotherapy® into the treatment of trauma and attachment issues. Dr. Ogden is currently developing Sensorimotor Psychotherapy® for children, adolescents, and families with colleagues.
You don’t have to know the answers for your patients. All you have to do is turn them inside themselves because they know the answers.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Pat shares her story of having to know all of the answers for her clients, to then working with Ron Kurtz and learning about the body, to incorporating her love of movement and dance and how this led to her working in the field of trauma.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Pat talks about an early challenge she had working with a client who was experiencing dissociative symptoms, and then the lessons she learned from that.
What keeps me going is the benefit to the world. I get letters every week from clients and therapists, and even people who’ve read my books. Everyone at Sensorimotor Psychotherapy…we really have our hearts and souls into making this planet a better place.
- Go to conferences!
- Listen to your clients.
- Work in the community to help address and deal with holding all the stories.
Pat’s Go-To Books
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, Bessel van ker Kolk
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy: Interventions for Trauma and Attachment (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology), Pat Ogden
- Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology, Pat Ogden
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
- Upcoming Trainings
- Conferences & Workshops
- Pat’s email: [email protected]
- SPI on Facebook
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com