Teresa Descilo, MSW, MCT
Teresa Descilo, MSW, MCT is the Founder and Executive Director of the Trauma Resolution Center, formerly known as Victim Services Center.
Founded in 1995, the TRC is the first trauma-focused Community Mental Health Center and state licensed substance abuse program in the US. Teresa has always believed in the resiliency of the human spirit and in the ability of each being to expand consciousness and tap inner strengths. She has explored many paths and cultures over the decades and has collected many effective techniques for dealing with stress, raising awareness and connecting to one’s spiritual source. She always found it unreasonable that anyone should be permanently labeled and identified with any condition, as most things pass or can be worked through with some discipline and diligence, with the benefit of gaining strength and awareness. Teresa founded her agency on these values.
There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own Soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
A Crucial Early Mistake
Teresa shares the story of how early on in her career she made the mistake of not requiring that the people and interns who worked with her do their own inner work and self-care.
The clients’ stories keep me going. We are providing a service that no one else can offer.
- You have to do your own (inner) work. You cannot avoid it. You won’t get any other work done if you don’t. And accept that you need to do your own work for the rest of your career.
- Find a modality that works for you and that shows results.
- Use your critical thinking skills: Don’t take any advice from any expert without examining it, and don’t be afraid to explore and try interventions from other cultures.
Teresa’s go-to books
- An ABC of Enlightenment: A Spiritual Dictionary for the Here and Now, Osho
- Beyond Psychology: An Introduction to Metapsychology, 3rd Edition, Frank A. Gerbode
- The Betrayal Bond: Breaking Free of Exploitive Relationships, Patrick Carnes Ph.D.
- Trauma Resolution Center
- Teresa’s Personal Website
- Teresa’s Trainings
- [email protected]
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com