Tara S. Dickherber
Tara S. Dickherber is a Licensed Professional Counselor and a Nationally Board Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist in private practice in St. Charles, Missouri. She works exclusively with individuals who have survived trauma; from sexual violence to veterans with PTSD.
Tara blends clinical hypnotherapy, memory reconsolidation and humor to help her clients overcome the sometimes haunting effects of trauma. It is Tara’s passion and goal to heal her clients and aid other practitioners in also finding their style as trauma therapists.
With this in mind, Tara is publishing her first book titled Laughter: The Best Medicine: How Humor can Help Your Clients and Alleviate Burnout. Tara also guest presents at various workshops with Courtney Armstrong, LPC focusing on the effective treatment of trauma. (Episode 107 on The Trauma Therapist Podcast)
Be the change that you want to see in the world.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Tara talks about how she stumbled into the field of trauma by way of a humanities class and her love of horses.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Tara talks about one of her earliest clients (whom she affectionately refers to as one of her guinea pig clients) and who she moved into the processing of the trauma too quickly.
It is the high that I get seeing my clients transform and heal.
- Get as much of your own stuff taken care of as you can.
- Make sure that this [trauma] is the right thing for you.
- It’s okay to be your own unique version of you.
Tara’s go-to books
- The Therapeutic “Aha!”: 10 Strategies for Getting Your Clients Unstuck, Courtney Armstrong
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com