Ryan Van Wyk
Ryan Van Wyk is a licensed clinical psychologist practicing in St. Louis Park and St. Paul, Minnesota. He is the founder of MN Trauma Project, an organization that aims to increase accessibility to trauma informed care in the state of MN and that is moving towards non-profit status.
Ryan is a Captain and behavioral health officer in the MN Army National Guard. He currently works full time for the Melrose Center, an eating disorders treatment center, where he is one of the lead therapists in a co-occurring disorders program treating eating and substance use disorders.
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Ryan shares his experiences of growing up and how the difficulties he had in elementary school shaped and influenced his journey into helping people who had been hurt and traumatized.
For me, it’s the miracle of watching people come back to life.
- First and foremost, you’ve got to do your own work. Find avenues of knowing yourself.
- Take a variety of trainings.
- Get connected–with supervisors, with peer consultation, with other groups and like-minded thinkers.
Ryan’s go-to books
- A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy, Annie G. Rogers
Psychotherapy.net: Leading producers of over 250 psychotherapy and counseling training videos, featuring the greatest masters in our field actually demonstrating psychotherapy. Can dentists learn to do a filling without ever seeing one done? We don’t think so….but sadly therapists are asked to help clients without ever seeing their mentors at work. From individual, couple, child, adult, or addictions therapy–featuring masters such as Irvin Yalom, Marsha Linehan, Donald Meichenbaum, Insoo Kim Berg, Monica McGoldrick, Sue Johnson and others–we help you become the best therapist you can be. Now videos are accessible via our Netflix style subscription service, beginning at only $29.25 per month for West Coast Trauma Project Listeners. For details go to Psychotherapy.net/Trauma.
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com