Rochelle Sharpe Lohrasbe
Rochelle holds a PhD in Child and Youth Care (UVIC). Beginning with a career in forensic psychiatric nursing, she has 30 years of clinical experience in the areas of post-traumatic stress, attachment trauma and developmental wounding.
In her private clinical practice Rochelle sees both children and adults who have experienced abuse, neglect and other traumatic experiences such as vehicle accidents, natural disasters, bullying, chronic degradation and so forth.
Rochelle is an EMDRIA-approved consultant in EMDR, facilitates for the DNMS Institute, and recently joined the faculty of the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute. She has presented at EMDR and Trauma and Dissociation conferences in Canada and abroad.
Not all who wander are lost.
J. R. R. Tolkien
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
From her dream to working with Jane Goodall, to then actually working in a forensic psychiatric facility, Rochelle shares her winding, untraditional path to her work with individuals who’ve been traumatized.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Rochelle shares the story of working with a woman and not really having the skills to help this client move through her trauma experience. I’m the one that has the answers and I’m the one that’s supposed to fix this?!
Like many people who end up in this work, I come with my own experience. And I think that allows me to relate a lot to my clients and their experiences. A lot of my why comes from my realization that if I could help one person then that could have a ripple effect in their lives.
- Be persistent. Have grit. Stick to it. Don’t settle for rote answers from the system, even from the experts.
Rochelle’s Go-To Books
- Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology), by Pat Ogden, Kekuni Minton, Clare Pain
- Treating the Trauma Survivor: An Essential Guide to Trauma-Informed Care, by Carrie Clark, Catherine C. Classen, Anne Fourt, Maithili Shetty
- Rochelle’s email: [email protected]
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com