Robyn Walser, Ph.D
Robyn D. Walser, Ph.D. is Director of TL Consultation Services, Associate Director at the National Center for PTSD and is Associate Clinical Professor at University of California, Berkeley. As a licensed psychologist, she maintains an international training, consulting and therapy practice.
Dr. Walser is an expert in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and has co-authored 3 books on ACT including Learning ACT, The Mindful Couple and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for the Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress disorder. She also has expertise in traumatic stress and substance abuse and has authored a number of articles and chapters and books on these topics.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Robyn explains that it was her own personal history, along with a strong desire to help those who were powerless, which were truly the main influences for leading her into the field of trauma psychology.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Robyn shares the story of her experiences working with a young woman who was a heroine addict, and the events which unfolded after this client received a large sum of money.
When I look back I want to be able to say I did what I love, and that I didn’t let fear and/or anxiety hold me back.
- Make sure you engage in activities that are truly about feeding your own soul.
- Be aware of evidence-based psychotherapies, even if you don’t practice them, understand them.
Robyn’s go-to books
- Finding Life Beyond Trauma: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy to Heal from Post-Traumatic Stress and Trauma-Related Problems (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook), Victoria M. Follette
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Robyn D Walser PhD
- The Mindful Couple, Robyn D Walser PhD
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for the Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress disorder, Robyn D Walser PhD
- Learning Act: An Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Skills-Training Manual for Therapists (Context / Nhp Context / Nhp) [Paperback], Ph.D. Walser (Author) Jason B. Luoma (Author)Steven C. Hayes (Author) Robyn D
- Roby’s website: TL Consultation Services
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com