Robert Weiss LCSW, CSAT-S is Senior Vice President of Clinical Development with Elements Behavioral Health. He has developed clinical programs for The Ranch outside Nashville, Tennessee, Promises Treatment Centers in Malibu, and The Sexual Recovery Institute in Los Angeles.
A licensed UCLA MSW graduate, and personal trainee of Dr. Patrick Carnes, he is the author of Cruise Control: Understanding Sex Addiction in Gay Men and Sex Addiction 101: A Basic Guide to Healing from Sex, Porn, and Love Addiction, and co-author with Dr. Jennifer Schneider of both Always Turned On: Sex Addiction in the Digital Age and Closer Together, Further Apart: The Effect of Technology and the Internet on Parenting, Work, and Relationships, along with numerous peer-reviewed articles and chapters.
An author and subject expert on the relationship between digital technology and human sexuality, Mr. Weiss has served as a media specialist for CNN, The Oprah Winfrey Network, the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, and the Today Show, among many others. He has also provided clinical multi-addiction training and behavioral health program development for the US military and treatment centers throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia.
We will not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it.
Taken from the promises of the 12 steps
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Robert shares the open and honest story of how he was brought to the field of addiction and trauma.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Robert talks about one of his early clinical errors which involved being blinded in a sense by a particular client’s story and confession, and losing the sight of why the client had come to therapy in the first place.
Robert shares the personal story and experiences of what drives him day to day.
- Be wary of finding one modality of therapy and believing that that alone is the answer. We don’t have to specialize in all of the different modalities, but we need to be familiar with of it.
- Refer. Refer. Refer. If you don’t know how to do specific work with a particular client, refer that client to someone who does know.
Robert’s go-to books
- A Billion Wicked Thoughts: What the Internet Tells Us About Sexual Relationships, Ogi Ogas
- Always Turned On: Sex Addiction in the Digital Age, Robert Weiss
- Closer Together, Further Apart: The Effect of Technology and the Internet on Parenting, Work, and Relationships, Robert Weiss
- Cruise Control: Understanding Sex Addiction in Gay Men, Robert Weiss