Rick Bata, LMFT
Rick Bata is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with more than 20 year’s experience in the prevention, intervention, and treatment of domestic violence.
Rick, a Vietnam veteran, is also a Military & Family Life Consultant and Contractor with the Office of the Secretary of Defense and provides coaching, education and support to help families adjust to military life and the deployment cycle(s).
As a trauma specialist, Rick has been providing pro bono services to returning combat veterans dealing with issues of PTSD and Combat related stressors since the onset of the Gulf War.
His current passion is as Visionary and CEO of The Warrior Project of San Jose.
Stop treating the symptoms.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Rick came from a military life and so joining the military was something that was expected. Rick joined at the time of the Vietnam War. When he returned from the war he kept his ear tuned to veterans’ issues. It wasn’t until he began therapy years later, however, that Rick realized he’d gone through his own trauma as a kid and had all along been subconsciously drawn to helping individuals who had been traumatized.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Rick talks about the importance of remaining present while working with combat veterans.
I continue to do this work because of the successes I see with my clients…when I see them beginning to go outside, and when they start being able to leave their homes.
- Make sure you address your own issues.
- Find a great therapist. It makes us great therapists.
- Get good supervision; a supervisor who is actively engaged.
Rick’s go-to books
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures, 2nd Edition, Francine Shapiro
- Down Range: To Iraq and Back, Bridget C. Cantrell
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com