Charles Figley, Ph.D.
Prof. Charles R. Figley, Ph.D., is the Paul Henry Kurzweg, MD Distinguished Chair in Disaster Mental Health and a professor at Tulane University School of Social Work. He is also director of the award-winning Traumatology Institute, which was recognized in 2000 as the best program of its kind by the University of Continuing Education Association. Dr. Figley is Co-Director of the Disaster Resilience Leadership Academy and directs its graduate program, a former Fulbright Fellow and Visiting Distinguished Professor at the Kuwait University.
Dr. Figley is also a psychologist, family therapist, psychoneuroimmunologist, and social work educator and researcher. Most recently he was a professor in the College of Social Work at Florida State University and former director of the PhD program in Marriage and Family.
Dr. Figley is founding editor of the Journal of Traumatic Stress as well as the Journal of Family Psychotherapy and has written more than 200 scholarly works including 22 books.
Combat trauma is more an injury that needs healing rather than an illness which needs medicine.
Charles Figley, Phd
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Dr. Figley shares his experience of being in the Marine Corps, encountering young kids in Da Nang and then later witnessing how many of his veteran compatriots had come home with PTSD while some did not.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Charles shares an experience he had as a young graduate student and interviewing Vietnam veterans, however not being as patient as he feels he should have nor listening as well as he could have.
The work I do is extraordinarily rewarding and treatable. Most people, most therapists aren’t aware of just how close we are to reaching a breakthrough with our clients.
- Join one of the major professional organizations (eg Division 56, or ISTSS)
- Practice self-care. Charles talks about his book First Do No Self-Harm
Charles’ Go-To Books
- Trauma and Recovery, Judith Herman
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Multiple Personality Disorder (Foundations of Modern Psychiatry), Frank W. Putnam MD
- Dr. Figley’s Website
- The Figley Institute
- Traumatology Institute at Tulane
- Compassion Fatigue: Coping With Secondary Traumatic Stress Disorder In Those Who Treat The Traumatized (Routledge Psychosocial Stress Series,Charles R. Figley
- Treating Traumatic Stress Injuries in Military Personnel: An EMDR Practitioner’s Guide (Psychosocial Stress Series), Mark C. Russell
- Compassion Fatigue in the Animal-Care Community, Charles R. Figley, PhD., and Robert. G. Roop, PhD.
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com