The Power of Hope. Christina Minoguchi
Christina Minoguchi, MSW, LISW-S graduated from The Ohio State University. She specializes in the clinical treatment of traumatized teens and adults in her private practice located in Columbus, Ohio. Christina has 16 years of experience and ongoing study in providing trauma-informed care as well as teaching other therapists in understanding and treating clients who have experienced trauma. She is trained in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), CBT, MI and DBT.
Christina’s passion is driven by her own trauma history that includes her father who had PTSD as a Marine in the Vietnam War; her husband who is a retired police officer with PTSD related to a bank robbery-shooting; as well as her own experiences with chronic sexual abuse and abandonment issues. Christina is in the process of publishing her memoir that details her trauma as well as the steps she took to heal in hopes that other people in the trauma club may find the answers they are desperately seeking.
Don’t get caught up in diagnoses. Really look at the entire person.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Christina grew up with a father who was a Marine and who suffered from PTSD. He was unpredictable and he was unstable. Christina shares the story of how growing up in this environment impacted the trajectory of her life.
A Crucial Early Mistake
As a new clinician Christina was almost exclusively focused on uncovering the diagnosis and as a result didn’t see and treat what the underlying issues were. She talks about an experience she had assessing teens in the juvenile system.
To see a client who comes into my office…I really build hope to let them know that they’re not bad or broken, but that this was a response they had. There’s nothing better than seeing the hope that comes back to their face.
- Find a trauma-informed mentor.
- Read as much as you possibly can.
- Go to as many trainings as you can. I recommend the EMDR training. (Check out emdrconsulting.com)
Christina’s Go-To Books
- Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving: A GUIDE AND MAP FOR RECOVERING FROM CHILDHOOD TRAUMA, Pete Walker
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Lack of Focus, Anger, and Memory Problems, Daniel G. Amen M.D.
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com