Dr. Omar Minwalla is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Clinical Sexologist and the Director of The Institute for Sexual Health in Beverly Hills, California.
Dr. Minwalla is the founder of the Sex Addiction-Induced Trauma Model, which recognizes the traumatic impacts on others of sexual acting out disorders.
Since 2006, Dr. Minwalla has articulated the alarming lack of recognition and treatment of trauma among partners and spouses of sex addicts. He has challenged the “traditional sex addiction model” as patriarchal, narcissistic in scope, a form of victim-blaming, and in desperate need of revision. The Institute for Sexual Health remains one of the only treatment facilities that utilizes a sex addiction-induced trauma model to treat those impacted and victimized by sexual acting out disorders.
Blame rapists for rape.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Omar talks about what led him to become a clinical sexologist, as well as his interest in exploring human sexuality and working with individuals who have been victimized.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Omar shares an early experience he had which involved a lack of sensitivity on his part to the spouses or partners he’d been seeing. This process, the disclosure process, involves the perpetrator disclosing to the partner what has occurred or what has been going on (sometimes for many years), and which can in and of itself be extremely traumatic for the spouse.
Why do I do this? Because it’s a human rights issue!
- Challenge yourself to think outside the box and challenge the ideas of what you’re being taught.
- Find the balance between taking care of yourself and taking care of others.
- Get training on the difference between PTSD and Complex PTSD.
- Understand how the patterns of victimization, perpetration and abuse contribute to PTSD.
Omar’s go-to books
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence–from Domestic Abuse to Political Terror, Judith Herman
- The Intimate Partner Abuse and Relationship Violence Guide
- Guidelines For Psychological Practice For Girls and Women
- King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine, Robert Moore
What does it take to sit with individuals who've been impacted by trauma?
Your own Inner-Work is crucial.
This course is your first step.