Nina K. Thomas, PhD
Nina Thomas has worked clinically with individuals and groups since 1981. Her primary area of expertise is in working with people who have endured traumas in their lives whether these are the challenges of divorce or the traumas caused by uprooting through natural devastation, immigration, war and refugee status or the like. She has written and presented nationally and internationally on these issues in a variety of contexts.
Nina is Co-Chair and Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor at NYU Postdoctoral Program in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis as well as Chair, in the Advanced Specialization in Trauma and Disaster Studies, NYU Postdoctoral Program in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Nina talks about her journey which began with an interest in the lack of city planning in sub-saharan Africa and the ways in which that in turn supported the existing political regimes which then contributed to the traumatic separation of families.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Nina shares her experience in working with a young woman who was a Holocaust survivor and how Nina became too invested in hearing about this client’s story for my own needs while subverting the needs of the client.
My why began in the interest of righting social wrongs but also in helping people to deal with their pasts so they don’t contaminate their present.
- Be attentive to yourself. Don’t allow the flash of a thought or feeling in your body to pass without your awareness.
Nina’s go-to books
- Testimony: Crises of Witnessing in Literature, Psychoanalysis and History, Shoshana Felman
- Integration and Self Healing: Affect–Trauma–Alexithymia, Henry Krystal
- Nina’s Website
- Personal Consultation & Teaching
- Nina’s articles and books
- [email protected]
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com