Mark Lagon, PhD
Mark Lagon is adjunct senior fellow for human rights at the Council on Foreign Relations and also serves as the chair of the international relations and security concentration in the Georgetown University master of science in foreign service program. On January 2, 2015 Mark will become president of Freedom House, an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of freedom around the world.
Dr. Lagon was previously Executive Director and CEO of the leading anti-human trafficking nonprofit, Polaris Project, which operates the U.S. Government’s national anti-trafficking hotline.
Prior to that Dr. Lagon was U.S. ambassador-at-large, directing the Office to Monitorand Combat Trafficking in Persons at the U.S. Department of State, from 2007 to 2009where he chaired by statute the Senior Policy Operating Group coordinating all U.S. agencies efforts to combat human trafficking domestically and internationally.
It has always been a mystery to me how men can feel themselves honoured by the humiliation of their fellow beings.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Mark shares how it was almost by luck that he made his way into the field of human trafficking. As a senate staffer, Mark got assigned to help a Christian conservative Senator as well as probably the left-most conservative Senator at the time, pursue legislation on this topic.
One of the forces which pulled Mark into the specialization of human rights was, To get governments to be less oppressive and less involved in peoples’ lives.
- It’s very important that we don’t objectify a victim.
- Clinicians should be aware of signs that individuals might be a victim of human trafficking, eg the fact that someone might not be able to freely leave their place of employment.
- Remember that it’s their humanity not your inhumility that matters.
Mark’s Go-To Books
- Less Than Human: Why We Demean, Enslave, and Exterminate Others, David Livingstone Smith
- The Locust Effect: Why the End of Poverty Requires the End of Violence, Gary A. Haugen
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com