Marjie Roddick is a Washington State Licensed Mental Health Counselor. After finishing grad school at Gonzaga University in 2011 Marjie started working part-time as a therapist for an agency and providing services for teens and adults who have experienced sexual violence, domestic violence, and crime victimization.
In 2014 Marjie started her own private practice in Spokane Valley, Washington. She is a member of the American Counseling Association and am in the process of becoming a Certified Trauma Treatment Specialist as a member of the Association of Traumatic Stress Specialists.
Marjie has provided articles as a topic expert on GoodTherapy.org and is a provider for Open Path Psychotherapy Collective, a non-profit organization helping people access affordable counseling services.
It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Marjie talks about how having both a passion for psychology and happenstance led her to the specialization of trauma.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Marjie talks about how during her early years of training and working she used to take some of my clients’ problems home, and then how she came to the realization that this was not healthy.
I’m inspired by the knowledge that people are more than they think they are, and being able to help my clients realize this is amazing.
- It’s important to maintain an awareness of what changes the clients want to see, not simply what we, as therapists, would like.
- Notice that when we see resistance within a client, there is most often something else going on.
Marjie’s go-to books
- 1001 Solution-Focused Questions: Handbook for Solution-Focused Interviewing (A Norton Professional Book), Fredrike Bannink
TheraNest.com is a practice management and therapy notes software used by thousands in mental health and social services. TheraNest includes an easy to use calendar with group appointments, multi-staff, and recurring appointments. Enable voice, text message, and email reminders to reduce cancellations and no shows. Create invoices, superbills, accept payments including credit cards and submit insurance claims electronically. Enter case notes using one of our note templates (e.g., Progress Notes, Treatment Plans, Initial Assessments, Group Notes and Contact Notes) or create your own template. Store all your notes and forms in TheraNest with unlimited document storage. We serve thousands of practices of all sizes and process millions in payments monthly for private practices. Best customer support in the business. Fast, friendly, and most importantly, helpful, we will stop at nothing to provide top-tier support. Save 20% on your first 3 months when you sign up at theranest.com/TraumaTherapist.
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com