Manuela Mischke-Reeds, MA, MFT is a licensed Somatic Psychotherapist. She is an International teacher of psychology and trains health professionals in California, Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Europe and starting in China next year.
Manuela co-directs and teaches at the Hakomi Institute of California that hosts her trauma training: From Trauma to Dharma. (starts again in April 2016) This training integrates current neuroscience of trauma theory, somatic and mindfulness-based interventions with dharmic teachings and embodied meditation practices.
In addition Manuela has trained in various methods of working with trauma (e.g.Somatic Experiencing) and counseled survivors of political oppression, torture and trauma for the past 25 years. Her recent book: 8 Keys to Practicing Mindfulness. Practical Strategies for Emotional Health and Wellbeing, has been published by by W.W. Norton. (2015)
The basic work of health professionals in general and psychotherapists in particular is to become full human beings and to inspire full human beingness in other people who feel starved about their lives.
—Chogyam Trungpa, Full Human Beingness
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Manuela talks about her experience at the Naropa institute and how she actually begun as a dancer and then her journey and the transition to working to help others heal.
An Early Mistake
Manuela shares a story of the time she was working with a group of Vietnamese trauma survivors and how she hadn’t taken a full history and how this mistake impacted her choice of interventions.
My why has changed over the years. In the beginning it was all about helping others. And then I realized I needed to help myself. Then I realized that I couldn’t really help others but rather I could work to truly inspire their own healing. My why now is about holding someone’s hand with kindness and compassion on their journey of suffering and helping them discover their own way out.
- We need you! Don’t give up! And resource yourself.
- Make sure to involve your clients in the kind of interventions they might have.
- Find good guides who can guide you with the heart and help you along the way.
- Have a body practice–movement, tai chi, yoga, etc–but begin to cultivate your relationship with your body and the ground. This is absolutely key.
Manuela’s Go-To Books
- Touching Enlightenment: Finding Realization in the Body, Reginald A. Ray PhD
- Manuela’s website
- 8 Keys to Practicing Mindfulness: Practical Strategies for Emotional Health and Well-being (8 Keys to Mental Health), Manuela Mischke-Reeds
- Manuela’s training calendar
- Manuela’s Training: From Trauma to Dharma
- Emily Conrad
- Joanna Macey
- Reginald Ray
Psychotherapy.net: Leading producers of over 250 psychotherapy and counseling training videos, featuring the greatest masters in our field actually demonstrating psychotherapy. Can dentists learn to do a filling without ever seeing one done? We don’t think so….but sadly therapists are asked to help clients without ever seeing their mentors at work. From individual, couple, child, adult, or addictions therapy–featuring masters such as Irvin Yalom, Marsha Linehan, Donald Meichenbaum, Insoo Kim Berg, Monica McGoldrick, Sue Johnson and others–we help you become the best therapist you can be. Now videos are accessible via our Netflix style subscription service, beginning at only $29.25 per month for West Coast Trauma Project Listeners. For details go to Psychotherapy.net/Trauma.
TherapyPartner.com is the nation’s leader in developing industry specific practice management technology! Therapy Partner’s intuitive technology streamlines all business of practice tasks allowing you to focus on clinical care! This robust intuitive technology utilizes a 5:1 performance ratio – perform a task and Therapy Partner automates five business processes. Save time, lower liability, experience peace of mind, earn more, and thrive in practice! Therapy partner is committed to advancing the field by developing advanced technology, business of practice education and personalized support!
Join the movement…clinicians adopting Therapy Partner’s technology increase revenue by 20% the first year…the time is now, focus on clinical care, and let Therapy Partner empower your practice! The Trauma Therapist Podcast Listeners receive a 60 day free trial! Visit TherapyPartner.com and use discount code: Podcast
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com