Linnea Butler, LMFT
Linnea Butler is founder and Clinical Director of Bay Area Mental Health in Los Gatos, CA. She specializes in treating trauma and mood disorders as well as running a DBT program.
Linnea has trained in trauma treatment with Janina Fisher, Manuela Mische-Reeds, Bessel van der Kolk and Ame Cutler. Before founding Bay Area Mental Health, Linnea worked at various agencies, including Momentum for Mental Health where she ran an outpatient clinic that served over 400 clients. Linnea has degrees from Occidental College, The University of Utah and the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Linnea shares with us her journey from geneticist, then marketer, to therapist, and then the journey of how she arrived at specializing in trauma treatment.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Linnea talks about a time when she allowed her emotional boundaries to dissolve with a client and the implications this had not only for the client and the treatment, but for Linnea, herself.
For me, with trauma therapy, I feel so deeply honored to sit with people in their most raw expression in themselves.
- The most important thing, by far, is getting trauma specific training.
- Take self-nurturing seriously!
- Get involved with a body practice, eg Tai Chi, yoga.
- Be involved in consultation groups.
Linnea’s Go-To Books
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha, by Tara Brach