Laurence Heller, PhD
Dr. Heller is the founder of the NeuroAffective Relational Model™ or (NARM), a unified systemic approach for working with developmental issues and shock trauma. He has been on the faculty of several major universities and has taught courses and seminars at medical schools, hospitals and pain clinics in the U.S. and Europe.
Dr. Heller co-founded the Gestalt Institute of Denver and later the Rocky Mountain Psychotherapy Institute where he trained hundreds of mental health professionals.
Finally Dr. Heller is the co-author of Crash Course, A Self-Healing Guide to Auto Accident Trauma and Recovery published in English, German, Danish, and Italian.
In each of us there is a natural movement towards health.
Laurence Heller, PhD
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Larry shares how the experience of the birth of his son, which created a bit of anxiety for him and then planted a kind of seed or thought, was the genesis for his interest in the trauma therapy field.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Larry talks about how, early on in his career, he learned how limiting talk therapy could be within the context of trauma therapy.
At this stage in his career Larry spends much of his time now working with people who are working with people, and this he explains, makes me feel like I’m making a difference.
- Expose yourself to a number of different systems so that you have many things to draw from.
- It’s important to have an orientation to the body.
- Understand attachment processes and early developmental issues.
Laurence’s go-to books
- A General Theory of Love, Thomas Lewis
- Character Analysis, Wilhelm Reich
- Healing Developmental Trauma: How Early Trauma Affects Self-Regulation, Self-Image, and the Capacity for Relationship, Laurence Heller Ph.D.
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com