Laura van Dernoot Lipsky, MSW
Laura is the founder and director of the Trauma Stewardship Institute and author of the book Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others.
Laura has worked directly with trauma survivors for 28 years and is known as a pioneer in the field of trauma exposure. She has worked nationally and internationally training a wide variety of individuals including zookeepers and reconstruction workers in post-Hurricane Katrina, community organizers and health care providers in Japan, U.S. Air Force pilots and Canadian firefighters.
Laura holds a master of social work degree, is an associate producer of the award-winning film A Lot Like You, and was given a Yo! Mama award in recognition of her work as a community-activist mother.
Do no harm
Thich Nhat Hanh
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Laura talks about getting into the field of trauma in order to reconcile something. Thatsomething began with her mother’s illness and the fact that she and her brother became her care-takers. Laura shares her story of where that experience took her.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Laura talks about an experience she had which she refers to as her near psychotic break.She’d been working in the trauma field for 10 years when colleagues as well as clients began letting her know that she didn’t seem right. Laura shares the story of what happened next.
With all the suffering in the world, it is intolerable not to do something.
- Notice the beauty and sublime in the present!
- Notice our tendency to numb-out.
Laura’s go-to books
- Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others, Laura Van Dernoot Lipsky
- Pema Chodron
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times (Shambhala Classics),Pema Chodron
- Thich Nhat Hanh
- Desmond Tutu
- Laura’s site: The Trauma Stewardship Institute
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com