Laura Brown, PhD
Laura Brown is a feminist trauma psychologist who practices psychotherapy and forensic psychology in Seattle and has published extensively on topics related to trauma treatment, feminist practice, cultural competence, ethics, and LGBT concerns.
She is the founder and director of the Fremont Community Therapy Project, a training clinic serving low-income individuals. Her first popular press book is: Your turn for care: Surviving the aging and death of the adults who harmed you. Laura is also a late-in-life student of aikido.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Laura talks about a few different forces which contributed, both consciously and subconsciously, to her getting into the trauma field. First, she shares her experience in graduate school and how she was inspired by the time and place to begin creating rape and crisis centers. Laura also talks about her experience of being the “daughter of a trauma survivor,” and how that drove her into this field of study. Lastly, laura speaks about being driven by the historical trauma of her ancestors.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Laura talks about an experience she had as a practicum student, having an ineffective supervisor who knew nothing about trauma-informed treatment, and then being given a client who was self-inflicting violence. “I couldn’t have been more clumsy and obtuse,” Laura said about the therapy she provided.
Because I can’t imagine doing anything else!
- Get specific training and supervision
- Get specific in some of the evidenced based techniques: eg, emdr and prolonged exposure
- Learn about the body informed therapies
- Learn about dissociation
- Read the classics:
- Trauma and the Therapist: Countertransference and Vicarious Traumatization in Psychotherapy with Incest Survivors, Laurie Anne Pearlman
- Countertransference and the Treatment of Trauma (Psychotherapy Practitioner Resource Book Series), Constance J. Dalenberg
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence–from Domestic Abuse to Political Terror, Judith Herman
Laura’s go-to books
- The poetry of Leonard Cohen
- Laura’s book: Your turn for care: Surviving the aging and death of the adults who harmed you
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com