During her work there, she provided yoga therapy for service members in Chronic Pain with PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury, and more, and successfully incorporated yoga into the clinical hospital setting at Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center at Ft. Gordon, Ga.
She has worked side-by-side and provided yoga-based training to traditional healthcare professionals as well as complementary and alternative providers, teaching asana, pranayama, meditation, mantra, and other yoga and Ayurvedic practices. She is also a Master Practitioner of Thai Yoga Therapy and Massage and somatic-based therapies.
Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.
Viktor E. Frankl
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Kim shares a personal story of struggling with an eating disorder and how her journey of healing lead her on a path to begin helping others heal.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Kim shares an example of a time when she didn’t have a sufficient support system in place and the ways that impacted her well-being.
Kim talks about the importance of the word Mudita (finding joy in another’s joy; a state of sympathetic joy) in her life, and then goes on to explain that, When someone realizes that they can heal, there’s a spark in them. And that’s what gets me excited about what I’m doing.
- Remember each person has that innate ability to heal. Our work is to honor that light within each of them. And also remember that, as therapists, we have that capacity within us as well!
- But, also remember that we have to do our own work in order to create that safety which facilitates the healing.
- Find a supervisor or mentor or coach that can help and guide you.
Kim’s go-to books
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- Brené Brown
- Man’s Search for Meaning, Viktor E. Frankl
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com