Keith Myers, LPC
Keith Myers is a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and has been working in clinical mental health for over 13 years. His clinical specialties include trauma, combat-PTSD, Veterans issues, and Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy.
He has published peer-reviewed articles and given presentations on trauma, combat PTSD, and ethical issues. He owns a private practice just north of Atlanta and regularly works with military members and their families, providing therapy advocacy services. He is also an Adjunct Faculty Member with both Argosy University & Mercer University and is a doctoral candidate in Counselor Education & Supervision with Mercer University.
People make sense.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Keith grew up in a military family and he talks about how that, combined with some personal experiences, led him into the field of trauma work.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Keith shares the story about one of the first veterans he worked with, a Marine, and the first–very interesting–thing he did after entering Keith’s office.
For me, I get to sit with people within the midst of their darkness, in their pain, and I get to bear witness. There’s something in that bearing witness that I get to see observable changes in their lives.
- Be intentional and purposeful about your professional identity as a trauma therapist. For example, develop a niche, pursue a specialization through groups and affiliations and conferences.
- Read, read and read some more. Book, articles, attend conferences etc.
- Develop a self-care strategy right now! Learn how to set limits, use some of the containments skills that you teach your clients. Take time off, utilize trauma informed supervision, etc.
Keith’s go-to books
- Combat Stress Injury: Theory, Research, and Management (Routledge Psychosocial Stress Series), Charles R. Figley
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- Keith’s website
- Keith’s blog
- Keith’s email: [email protected]
- Ed Tick
- Ed Tick on The Trauma Therapist | Podcast