The Journey Of Healing. Michelle Stevens, PhD
As a psychologist and survivor of horrific child abuse, Dr. Michelle Stevens is in a unique position to write and speak on the subject of trauma. Her dual roles as therapist and patient allow her to comprehend psychological issues from the inside out and the outside in. This gives her an uncanny ability to explain the complicated nuances of trauma in ways that are accessible to a broad audience. She strives to use this gift to educate others on the effects of abuse and violence while inspiring survivors to overcome their pain
After suffering more than ten years of physical, emotional, and sexual abuse at the hands of a sadistic pedophile and the sex ring to which he belonged, Michelle escaped and went on to study writing at New York University.
Michelle earned her doctorate in psychology from Saybrook University, where her thesis was honored as the “Dissertation of Distinction.” She has presented her research to the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation and the Los Angeles County Psychological Association, where she also received an award for Outstanding Research. Her writing about trauma has appeared in The New York Times, Time, People, The Huffington Post, Psychology Today, Good Housekeeping, and The Hollywood Reporter.
The best way out is always through.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Michelle says that when she first began seeing clients she made the common mistake of trying fix people. Michelle shares the story of working with a client who was struggling with alcohol addiction and suffering from the symptoms. She said at one point she became frustrated with the pace at which the client was working and so tried confronting him. It didn’t work and it was the wrong thing to do.
- Get into your own therapy with a good therapist, take it seriously, and allow it to change who you are, and use it for personal growth.
Michelle’s Go-To Books
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence–From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror, Judith Herman
- Michelle’s website
- Michelle’s book: Scared Selfless: My Journey from Abuse and Madness to Surviving and Thriving
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com