The Innate Desire To Heal with Jenny Watt, M.A.
Jenny Watt, M.A., is a Registered Clinical Counsellor with specialized training in EMDR Therapy. She has a special interest in working with adults, parents, and couples whose painful childhood experiences are keeping them from enjoying fulfilling lives and is approved to provide services for individuals in the Crime Victims Assistance Program.
Prior to her work in private practice, Jenny worked with marginalized children, parents, and families as a family therapist in a non-profit setting.
Through her experiences, Jenny discovered the importance of trauma-informed practice and became dedicated to trauma work. She is committed to encouraging positive growth and change in the community through her passion for counseling and healing.
All human beings have an innate desire to overcome suffering, to find happiness.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
I was always interested in hearing people’s stories and in listening. Jenny talks about how, as a young girl, her interest in listening to her friend’s stories progressively led to an interest in psychology, which then, in turn led to a focus on healing and in trauma.
A Crucial Early Mistake
The one that comes to mind was with a young client where I was just so unprepared. The client had experienced sexual abuse in his young life, and I was just asking questions and being curious but didn’t realize the impact that that was having on him.
I get so inspired by seeing people heal and then the ripple effect of how this impacts the client’s loved ones.
- Don’t let your fears and discouragement bring you down. Use them to educate yourself and even be a client yourself.
- There are so many trauma-informed therapies out there. Start by reading up and seeing which one fits, and then find ways to get specialized training in that area.
Jenny’s Go-To Books
- The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science Paperback, Norman Doidge
- A Guide to the Standard EMDR Therapy Protocols for Clinicians, Supervisors, and Consultants, Andrew M. Leeds PhD
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com