Janina Fisher, PhD
Janina Fisher, PhD is a licensed Clinical Psychologist and Instructor at the Trauma Center, an outpatient clinic and research center founded by Bessel van der Kolk. Known for her expertise as both a therapist and consultant, she is also past president of the New England Society for the Treatment of Trauma and Dissociation, an EMDR International Association Credit Provider, a faculty member of the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute, and a former Instructor, Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Fisher has been an invited speaker at the Cape Cod Institute, Harvard Medical School Conference Series, the EMDR International Association Annual Conference, University of Wisconsin, University of Westminster in London, the Psychotraumatology Institute of Europe, and the Esalen Institute. Dr. Fisher lectures and teaches nationally and internationally on topics related to the integration of research and treatment and how to introduce these newer trauma treatment paradigms in traditional therapeutic approaches.
It’s never too late to become the person you were meant to be.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Dr. Fisher talks about how her experience with Judith Herman was profoundly influential and inspiring and served to guide her to the field of trauma therapy.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Dr. Fisher shares a powerful story about how when she was working with one of her earliest clients she ended up listening to her own anxiety about the need to save her client, instead of listening to her client’s strengths.
Dr. Fisher’s Why
Dr. Fisher shares a moving story about how when she first launched her career she had the feeling that she knew it was the right choice. However, it wasn’t until ten years later, after hearing a story about her father’s trauma that she felt even more solidified about her passion for trauma therapy, a sense which inspires and encourages her to this day.
Dr. Fisher’s Advice
- Trauma therapy requires specialized training. Janina recommends seeking trauma education, taking workshops etc, as “trauma really should be a speciality,” because it requires specialized skills and interventions and does not respond to non-trauma related treatments.
- Take Janina’s monthly webinar training
Dr. Fisher’s 2 go-to books
- [email protected]
- Janina Fisher’s Website
- Janina’s Trauma Webinar Series
- Psychoeducational Materials
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com