Marisa Hughes is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Boca Raton, Florida. She specializes in working with women who have experienced trauma and want to transform their lives through healing. Marisa also coaches other therapists who are feeling stuck or getting in their own way, when it comes to running their own successful practices. Marisa takes a holistic approach to her private practice integrating traditional psychotherapy, EMDR, intuition, mindset work and therapeutic yoga. Check out her website www.marisahughescounseling.com for more information about how to work with Marisa.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Marisa began her career with the desire to become an OBGYN. She then shadowed a physician friend of the family and quickly realized that it wasn’t with medicine that her strengths lay, but rather with helping the families adjust to and manage their emotional burdens.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Marisa shares the story of how in her early years as a therapist she used to take the feelings home, and the impact that had on her both personally and professionally.
I love helping people feel like they’re not alone. And I believe that everyone can find some sort of healing.
- Get a mentor!
- Get honest with yourself about your own experiences.
- Find a supervisor who really embodies the kind of therapist you want to be.
- Always be working on your own stuff and checking in with yourself.
- If you’re interested in getting into private practice make certain you find a business mentor.
Marisa’s Go-To Books
- Waking The Tiger, Peter Levine
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, Don Miguel Ruiz