Helen Thomas, MC, RCC, LPC
Helen Thomas holds a Master of Counseling degree from Arizona State University, is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Arizona, and a Registered Clinical Counsellor in the province of British Columbia, where she currently resides.
Helen has experience in domestic violence shelter settings and transitional housing programs. She has practiced therapy in trauma-informed community mental health agency settings, as well as a government-funded counseling program for women who have experienced violence in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver.
She currently practices privately in Downtown Vancouver. Her counseling practice, Liv Wellness, offers EMDR therapy, trauma process groups for female adult survivors of child sexual abuse, and skills-based empowerment groups for women. Its home on the web is www.LivWellness.ca.
Her passion project, Take Back Childhood Campaign, has a mission of eradicating child sexual abuse by breaking the societal silence, increasing awareness and education, and supporting research and effective treatment for survivors of CSA. You can follow along on Twitter at TBCCampaign.
…Everything is illuminated in the light of the past. It is always along the side of us, on the inside, looking out.
Jonathan Safran Foer
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Helen wound up specializing in trauma after a series of experiences, and windings along her journey.
A Crucial Early Mistake
One of Helen’s passions is doing group trauma work. Here, she talks about what happened during one of those early groups that involved a particular interaction with a client.
I came into this field because it’s what I want to learn about. The stuff we do is the deep stuff, it’s the digging, the delving. Our work is the stuff of life.
- Be a person. Show up!
- Get well-trained! Of course!
Helen’s go-to books
- Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy, Francine Shapiro
- Man’s Search for Meaning, Viktor E. Frankl
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com