Gabor Maté, MD
A renowned speaker, and bestselling author, Dr. Gabor Maté is highly sought after for his expertise on a range of topics including addiction, stress and childhood development.
Rather than offering quick-fix solutions to these complex issues, Dr. Maté weaves together scientific research, case histories, and his own insights and experience to present a broad perspective that enlightens and empowers people to promote their own healing and that of those around them.
For twelve years Dr. Maté worked in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside with patients challenged by hard-core drug addiction, mental illness and HIV, including at Vancouver’s Supervised Injection Site.
With over 20 years of family practice and palliative care experience and extensive knowledge of the latest findings of leading-edge research, Dr. Maté is a sought-after speaker and teacher, regularly addressing health professionals, educators, and lay audiences throughout North America.
As an author, Dr. Maté has written several bestselling books including the award-winning In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction; When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress; and Scattered Minds: A New Look at the Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder, and co-authored Hold on to Your Kids. His works have been published internationally in twenty languages.
In addition, Dr. Maté has received the Hubert Evans Prize for Literary Non-Fiction; an Honorary Degree (Law) from the University of Northern British Columbia; an Outstanding Alumnus Award from Simon Fraser University; and the 2012 Martin Luther King Humanitarian Award from Mothers Against Teen Violence. He is an adjunct professor in the Faculty of Criminology, Simon Fraser University.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Dr. Maté shares how his own addictions, over many years, slowly led him to the realization of his personal struggles, which then inspired him to seek help, and eventually use those experiences to help others.
My purpose is to seek and share the truth.
- Understand that the medical etiology fails to deal with and/or identify trauma.
Gabor’s go-to books
- The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self, Revised Edition, Alice Miller
- Runaway Realization: Living a Life of Ceaseless Discovery, A. H. Almaas
- In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness, Peter A. Levine
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, Bessel van der Kolk MD
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction, Gabor Mate
- When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress, Gabor Mate M.D.
- Scattered Minds : A New Look at the Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder, Gabor Mate
- Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers, Gordon Neufeld
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com