Fran Waters, MSW, DCSW, LMFT
Fran S. Waters is a licensed clinical social worker and marriage and family therapist in private practice in Marquette, MI. She provides services to individuals, couples, and families with a variety of challenges.
Ms. Waters is an internationally recognized trainer and consultant in the field of childhood trauma, abuse, and dissociation. As an invited presenter, she has conducted extensive training programs on a variety of related topics both nationally and internationally ranging from a day to 5 days in Europe, Africa, South America, and North America.
Ms Waters has served as President of The International Society for the Study of Trauma & Dissociation (ISSTD) from 2004-2005, and was the Board of Director of ISSTD from 1998-2001.
Fran’s new book has just been published, Healing the Fractured Child: Diagnosis and Treatment of Youth With Dissociation.
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Fran shares how her various early experiences as a protective service worker serendipitously led her into the field of trauma.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Fran shares two early errors, one of which was rushing in too soon to begin exploring a client’s trauma narrative without first stabilizing the client.
There’s something deep within my gut about helping children. I believe if you’re helping children you are changing the world.
- Learn all you can about trauma and dissociation. Go to conferences, and don’t give up on these kids!
- Get consultation on a regular basis with someone who can provide guidance.
- Engage the caregivers in helping them to help their kids.
- Take good care of yourself!
Fran’s go-to books
- Dissociation in Traumatized Children and Adolescents: Theory and Clinical Interventions (Routledge Psychosocial Stress), Sandra Wieland
- The Child Survivor: Healing Developmental Trauma and Dissociation, Joyanna L. Silberg
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- Free 7-Day Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com
- Support the podcast by becoming a Patron and receive benefits as a thank-you!