Emotions, The Body & Trauma. Hilary Jacobs Hendel.
Hilary Jacobs Hendel is a trauma psychotherapist with a focus on emotions and the body. She has an extensive background in science and psychotherapy including a BA in Biochemistry from Wesleyan University, a doctoral degree from Columbia University and an MSW from Fordham University. She is a certified psychoanalyst and a certified AEDP psychotherapist and supervisor. Hilary has published articles in The New York Times and professional journals and writes a blog called The Change Triangle. Hilary was also the Mental Health Consultant for the Emmy Award-winning television show Mad Men on AMC. She lives and practices in New York City.
In the depths of winter I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Hilary shares the story of how when she was a young student studying analysis, she was taught to be silent, yet this idea and the act of being a neutral observer had many shortcomings.
I’ve always loved helping people, and now my passion is bringing this knowledge of emotions to the general public.
- Learn about emotions. Read about trauma and how to work with the body.
- It’s very important to have good boundaries.
- Understand the neuroscience about trauma.
Hilary’s Go-To Books
- It’s Not Always Depression: Working the Change Triangle to Listen to the Body, Discover Core Emotions, and Connect to Your Authentic Self, Hilary Jacobs Hendel
- The Transforming Power Of Affect: A Model For Accelerated Change, Diana Fosha
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- The New Trauma Worker ebook