Deb Del Vecchio-Scully
Brighter Vision is the worldwide leader in custom therapist website design.
For only $59/month, you get a website that’s as unique as your practice, unlimited technical support and complimentary SEO, so people can actually find you online. Over 500 therapists switched to Brighter Vision last year. Are you ready to grow your practice with a website that markets you? To learn more, and to get one month free, click here.
Deb Del Vecchio-Scully, LPC, NCC, CMHS is a counselor and trauma specialist and is currently the Clinical Recovery Leader of the Newtown Recovery & Resiliency Team created in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. She has a private practice, The Mindful Counselor where she provides comprehensive treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic grief as well as soulful self-care coaching to counselors.
Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.
Rainer Maria Rilke
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Deb shares the very personal story of being impacted by the passing of her niece and how that guided her entre into the field of trauma.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Deb talks about her early years as a clinician and not realizing the degree to which she would regularly be impacted by heaviness of her clients’ stories.
I do this because I’m good at it. This is my thing. This is what I’m meant to be doing.
- You have to have a good foundation in the neuroscience of the brain and what occurs during a traumatic event.
- Learn to use mindfulness-based approaches to treatment.
- Check out Brainspotting, Somatic Experiencing.
Deb’s go-to books
- Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others, Laura Van Dernoot Lipsky
- Newtown Recovery and Resiliency Team
- Deb on Facebook
- Deb on GoodTherapy.org
- Deb at the American Counseling Association Blog
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com