Dan Griffin, MA
Dan Griffin is the author of three ground-breaking publications: A Man’s Way through Relationships: Learning to Love and Be Loved, A Man’s Way through the Twelve Steps, and Helping Men Recover (co-author).
As an international speaker, trainer, and consultant for treatment programs, recovery courts, and mental health programs, Dan is focused on developing gender-responsive, trauma-informed services for men.
He has a Master’s Degree in Sociology from the University of Kansas and received a certificate in Counseling from Hazelden. Dan has been in recovery since May 1994 and leads retreats and workshops throughout the country to help men deepen their emotional recovery and enhance their relational competence. He is know for cutting edge interventions for men’s treatment, unique insights into men’s experience of trauma, and leadership in advancing the conversation on men’s issues in addiction and recovery.
All is well.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Dan shares the story of how this field found him more than he found it. He talks about his time at college as the time when he began discovering the subject of gender, specifically the confusing ideas of what it means to be a man, as well as his own alcoholism. There was a synergy that happened when those two elements overlapped.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Dan shares the story of when he began attending recovering meetings for years and yet waiting to get better, yet he remained in pain. He talks about how his own unfolding awareness of his own trauma became the missing piece which helped to contribute to his own healing.
The expectations for men have changed, but the guidance for men just has not come close to matching those expeditions. And I’ve been one of those men. Why am I doing this? Because somebody has to.
We have made so many assumptions about men that haven’t been challenged. Either you reflect on all those beliefs about those ideas you’ve internalized about men or it will be difficult to relate to them.
Dan’s go-to books
- A Man’s Way through Relationships: Learning to Love and Be Loved, Dan Griffin
- A Man’s Way through the Twelve Steps, Dan Griffin M.A.
- Helping Men Recover, Community Version Set, Stephanie S. Covington, Dan Griffin, Rick Dauer
- When Society Becomes an Addict, Anne Wilson Schaef
- Awareness: The Perils and Opportunities of Reality, Anthony De Mello
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com