Christopher Willard, PsyD
Christopher Willard, PsyD, is a psychologist and educational consultant based in Boston, specializing in mindfulness for adolescents and young adults and has been practicing meditation for over fifteen years.
Christopher currently serves on the board of directors at the Institute for Meditation and Psychotherapy and the Mindfulness in Education Network.
Dr. Willard has published five books on contemplative practice, including his most recent book, Growing Up Mindful. Christopher teaches at Harvard Medical School and Lesley University.
Christopher takes this opportunity to talk about how, in his early twenties, his parents dragged him to a mindfulness retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh. This experienced turned out to shift the trajectory of his life.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Christopher shares his experience of what it was like pretending to be a certain type of therapist, and of then learning the power that comes from owning the truth of who he was.
What inspires me is learning about–and oftentimes months or years later–how something I’ve said or done has helped or inspired someone.
Part of this is also making a deliberate point of showing gratitude and appreciation for the change and growth our clients have been making, and not just focusing on what’s wrong with them, or what we feel needs to be changed.
- Find the moments and the opportunities in our everyday lives to practice mindfulness. For example, when we’re checking our phone, or standing waiting for the elevator.
Christopher’s Go-To Books
- Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience, Christopher Willard PsyD
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com