California Prisons, Safety and Clinicians. Damon Wood
I talk a lot on this podcast about safety and creating safety for both the therapist and the client. But what about organizations? How does one go about creating safety for groups and organizations? And more specifically, how does one go about creating safety for the clinicians working within the state correctional facilities?
Today my guest is Dr. Damon Wood. Damon has held an interest in trauma focused therapies since his graduate education and has completed trainings in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Internal Family Systems, and DBT.
First a giant thank-you to my sponsors for this episode:
CPTSD Foundation provides peer-led, daily, interactive group calls, in a safe atmosphere for survivors of complex trauma, equipping them with skills and information they can use every single day in their healing journey.
Receive 50% off the first month when you join at http://bit.ly/2MEbBqc
This episode is also sponsored by Somatic Experiencing® Trauma Institute (SETI)
Since 2009, Dr. Wood has worked for the state of California in forensic institutions including Napa State Hospital and four California state prisons where he has provided treatment to the severely mentally ill, the severely behaviorally challenged, and the severely traumatized.
In 2015 Dr. Wood was promoted to the mental health leadership team at Salinas Valley State Prison where he has led teams of clinicians to provide treatment in one of the state’s most violent maximum security prisons. In this role and setting, Dr. Wood has championed trauma-informed organizational support for the clinical staff that work in such a stressful and difficult environment.
Train people well enough so they can leave. Treat them well enough so they don’t want to.” -Sir Richard Branson
In This Episode
- The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups, Daniel Coyle
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts, Brene Brown
- Damon’s email: [email protected]
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com