Dr. Perry is the Senior Fellow of The ChildTrauma Academy, a not-for-profit organization based in Houston, TX, and adjunct Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University in Chicago. He serves as the inaugural Senior Fellow of the Berry Street Childhood Institute.
Dr. Perry is the author, along with Maia Szalavitz, of The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog, a bestselling book based on his work with maltreated children, and Born For Love: Why Empathy is Essential and Endangered.
His most recent multimedia books, BRIEF: Reflections on Childhood, Trauma, and Society and RESILIENT: Six Core Strengths for Healthy Development were released in 2013.
Over the last thirty years, Dr. Perry has been an active teacher, clinician and researcher in children’s mental health and the neurosciences holding a variety of academic positions.
Regulate, then relate, then reason
Bruce Perry, MD, PhD
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Dr. Perry shares the story of how his education and initial misperceptions of some of his early patients eventually led him to the focus of his current work with The Child Trauma Academy.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Dr. Perry shares an early story about not listening as well as he might have and being dismissive to a certain degree of the stories his patients were sharing about their lives.
Dr. Perry’s Why
I view this as an avocation. I don’t view this as work. I feel very strongly that it’s important to continue to try to help others.
Dr. Perry’s advice
- It’s important to be patient with yourself.
- Recognize that in the end, what really makes a difference is going to be in context of your relational capabilities. So, self-care is really important.
Dr. Perry’s go-to books
- East of Eden (Penguin Twentieth Century Classics), John Steinbeck
- Too Scared To Cry: Psychic Trauma In Childhood, Lenore Terr
- The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist’s Notebook–What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love, and Healing, Bruce Perry
- Born for Love: Why Empathy Is Essential–and Endangered, Bruce D. Perry
- Brief: Reflections on Childhood, Trauma and Society, Bruce D. Perry
- RESILIENT: The Six Core Strengths For Healthy Brain Development, Bruce D. Perry