Becky Thompson is an award-winning writer, professor, yoga instructor, and activist. She has spent the last twenty years travelling across the world researching, teaching, and writing on issues of social and racial inequality. Becky has published eight books including the forthcoming Survivors on the Mat: Yoga Stories for those Healing from Trauma.
Becky’s work has also been featured in multiple journals such as Harvard Review,Feminist Studies, and Gender & Society.
Becky is a senior level yoga teacher and teaches yoga at conferences, workshops, in college classes, and community centers internationally and nationally. She sees her yoga practice as the foundation upon which her writing, teaching, poetry, and activism can flourish.
A writer’s heart, a poet’s heart, an artist’s heart, a musician’s heart is always breaking. It is through that broken window that we see the world; more mysterious, beloved, insane, and precious for the sparkling and jagged edges of the smaller enclosure we have escaped.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Becky gets personal and shares her story of growing up facing a number of challenges, whether from alcoholism, incest, or the loss of a loved one. Some of it also comes, Becky explains, from Being raised by multi-racial feminists who understood that our work in the world is to help make it safe for everybody.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Becky talks about how she learned the hard way about the importance of self-care and an initial unwillingness to practice it every day. She talks about how Self-care isn’t simply about every once in a while, but it’s all day and it’s not just one thing, but I need a whole tool box and that tool box is heavy!
Because I am 100% present when I’m doing yoga and working with individuals who are recovering, as we find our way through calm and serenity and peacefulness.
- Get on the mat and practice yoga!
Becky’s go-to books
- Survivors on the Yoga Mat: Stories for Those Healing from Trauma, Becky Thompson
- Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence, Matthew Sanford
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com