Avoiding The Pressure To Fix People. Deirdre Fay
Deirdre Fay, LICSW integrates traditional trauma and attachment therapy with yogic and meditation psychology and practices. Deirdre has been practicing meditation and yoga for over 30 years, has lived in a yoga ashram for over six years in the 80s and 90s, and is a former supervisor at The Trauma Center, and former faculty at Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute.
Deirdre is certified in Internal Family Systems, a qualified trainer in Mindful Self-Compassion, and the originator of the Becoming Safely Embodied skills now taught world-wide giving Deirdre a solid foundation to walk with you on this journey to heal from trauma and attachment wounding. Deirdre supervises and consults with therapists and clients internationally on safely living in the body.
Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.
Rainer Maria Rilke
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Deirdre shares her journey which involved running marathons, having her own trauma history erupt during a trauma workshop, and working with Bessel van der Kolk at The Trauma Center, to writing her own books.
A Crucial Early Mistake
What I know and what I trust about healing trauma comes from my own experience, and I work from that place.
I feel like I have taken some kind of soul vow to help people. There are times, of course, when I get tired, but this is like a driving force within me, to help people, and I don’t want to leave anyone behind.
- Listen to your own learning and explore the why of why you want to do this work, and that will lead you to where you need to be.
- Get a good psychodynamic foundation because you will be triggered by your clients.
Deirdre’s Go-To Books
- Attachment Disturbances in Adults: Treatment for Comprehensive Repair, Daniel P. Brown PhD, David S. Elliott PhD.
- Becoming Safely Embodied Skills Manual, Deirdre Fay
- CFT Made Simple: A Clinician’s Guide to Practicing Compassion-Focused Therapy, Russell L Kolts PhD
- Paul Gilbert
- Christopher Germer
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com