Autism & Trauma. Janeen Herskovitz, LMHC
Janeen is a licensed mental health counselor in the state of Florida and owner of Puzzle Peace Counseling, LLC. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in Special Education from Rowan University in New Jersey, (1995) and her Masters of Arts in Mental Health Counseling from Webster University (2010). Janeen is trained as an EMDR Trauma Therapist, and writes as a Topic Expert contributor on Autism Spectrum at goodtherapy.org. Janeen has been married to her husband, Joe, since 1995, and together they have two teenage children.
Janeen’s podcast, Autism Blueprint, will be launching next month, and covers a variety of topics surrounding autism in the home.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
Janeen shares the story of how the experience of having a son with autism has affected and impacted her life, and also how this has informed the work she does as a counselor helping other parents of children with autism.
A Crucial Early Mistake
Janeen talks about an early experience she had when she didn’t set firm enough boundaries, and the toll this on her both personally and professionally.
My son is my why, he’s my inspiration, and the things that have happened to him, I am able to share with my clients in order to help them, too.
- Do your own work. I don’t think you can take your clients further than you have gone yourself.
- You must consistently consult with trusted colleagues.
Janeen’s Go-To Books
- Brene Brown
- Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy, Francine Shapiro
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com