Ann Goelitz, PhD, LCSW-R
Dr. Goelitz is a writer and a scholar with a wide scope of clinical experience, ranging from working with trauma survivors after September 11th to her role as a psychiatric social worker at a top New York hospital. For the past ten plus years, she has specialized in her private practice on cognitive behavioral therapy, dream analysis, and EMDR, helping clients navigate transitions and heal from trauma and loss. A seasoned educator, she has done extensive public speaking, published numerous articles, and co-authored an award winning resource directory for caregivers. Her book, From trauma to healing: A social worker’s guide to working with survivors, has received endorsement and accolades from leaders in the field of trauma.
Relentless self care
- Ann shares the numerous ways she practices self-care which enable her to continue to do the great psychotherapeutic work she does.
What Led to the Specialization of Trauma?
- Ann talks about how early on in her career she began facilitating grief and cancer groups and how she soon learned that in effect these groups were actually trauma groups. She talks too about the privilege of working with individuals in this context.
A Crucial Early Mistake
- Ann relates an early career story about how she (mis)interpreted a client’s dream during a group process, and then how correcting that error actually led to the entire group benefitting in the end.
- Ann shares how she is continually inspired by the act of transmitting the hope that comes with the knowledge that trauma is treatable. She also speak about how rewarding it is to watch her clients recover.
- Whether for newer trauma clinicians or more experienced: hang on to hope, and transmit this hope to the client.
- Take good care of yourself, and focus on the importance of self-care with your clients, as well!
- Learn to be quiet and to sit with the feelings and the horror. This is more powerful than anything else we, as clinicians, can offer to our clients.
Ann’s 2 go-to books
- Ann’s website
- Ann’s Blog