Aikido, Conflict Resolution & Trauma. Jeff Dowdy
Aikido and trauma resolution?
Part of my own education in my graduate psychology program involved learning Aikido. Psychology and Aikido are a perfect fit. When I learned of this week’s guest, Jeff Dowdy, and the work he was doing within the trauma field, I jumped at the chance to have him on the podcast. Aikido is a non-violent martial art. If you’re not too familiar with it, you can read more about it here.
Over the last twenty years, Jeff Dowdy gratefully has had opportunities to direct programs utilizing art and Aikido to support the excellence of youth and adults in under-resourced and in at-risk communities. Jeff has led community arts projects, taught art in the classroom, and has recently founded Sarete, a nonprofit that utilizes the martial art of Aikido as a resource for reducing the burdens of conflict and trauma.
For Jeff, Aikido was a discovery that the body isn’t just along for the ride, it is a driving force that determines our experience. Sarete stems from the realization that the body becomes a resource for experiencing conflict in a way that leads toward resolution and healing.
My deep belief is that we do not have to carry the weight of our trauma with us. I really believe that there’s a way through practice that we can reduce the physical cost of carrying that burden on the way to healing.
- The important thing to instill in yourself is to work on yourself all the time. Work on being healthy and an example to the people you’re going to treat
Jeff’s Go-To Books
- Journey to the Heart of Aikido: The Teachings of Motomichi Anno Sensei, Linda Holiday
- Combat Related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Holistic Approach, Tom Osborn
The Trauma Therapist Project Resources
- My First Online Course: Inner-Work For The New Trauma Worker.
- 7-Day, $1 Trial of Trauma Therapist | 2.0, the place for new trauma workers.
- Coaching: One On One With Guy. For new trauma workers starting out on their trauma-informed journey looking for guidance, direction, and confidence.
- Free Ebook From Audible.com